Monday 24 August 2015

Trying to die for Bob in glorious battle

Operation Midway was set to be underway around 0100 EVE Time and we were expecting a good fight that, we hoped, end with the destruction of two Archon's that were located in Bex's wormhole.

It is said (even this is paraphrased) that "No plan survives contact with the enemy." Well this was no different but not in the way you'd expect.

Operational Details


Bex wanted to have a viking funeral (he likes big explosions) for two Archons he had had in his posession since taking over his current C3 wormhole. Feelers were put out (I believe) and Maythorn agreed to come and provide the firepower. 

T1 battleships, battlecruiers and faction T1/T2 cruiers were the agreed upon ships to take part (in addition to the two carriers). The carriers dictated this would be armour fits and our Dear Leader made sure to add the following :

No guardians, please, we don't want this to be gay. Clean clones, gents, in case mistakes. 

Simple enough, even for me to understand, and comms was quite fun although somewhat restrained, no doubt due to people wearing "game faces". That's not to say we didn't have worthwhile discussions on Citadels, the new Sov mechanics and, of course, boobies.  

Visiting the Store


Bex suggested that I bring a neut fit Armageddon to the fight as he would do likewise and we'd be able double team to help bring down capacitor hungry vessels. Sounded like a good idea but, of course, there was one minor hiccup...

My Prolapse character has Amarr Cruiser III only, no battle-cruiser or battleship skills for any Amarrian vessels. Bugger. Checking skills and injecting them I'd only have Amarr Battleship I in time for the battle so I had to call upon another out of alliance alt, who has Amarr Battleship V. I was also asked if I could bring a booster with Information Warfare Link skills, as there was the possibility we might be facing a large ECM force and any extra help we could get might just even the playing field.

So off to Jita I went and purchased a Nighthawk (it's really a Drake with different colours) and the following Armageddon (which as Bex says on his blog was an "experimental" but he never said that to me!) fit:

[Armageddon, New Setup 1]
Damage Control II
1600mm Steel Plates II
1600mm Steel Plates II
Corelum C-Type Energized Explosive Membrane
Corelum C-Type Energized Kinetic Membrane
Energized Adaptive Nano Membrane II
Corpii A-Type Thermic Plating

Large Micro Jump Drive
100MN Afterburner II
ECCM - Radar II
ECCM - Radar II

Large Remote Capacitor Transmitter II
Large Remote Capacitor Transmitter II
Heavy Unstable Power Fluctuator I
Heavy Unstable Power Fluctuator I
Heavy Unstable Power Fluctuator I
Heavy Unstable Power Fluctuator I
Heavy Unstable Power Fluctuator I

Large Trimark Armor Pump I
Large Trimark Armor Pump I
Large Trimark Armor Pump I

I made sure I had nanite paste, an MTU and a couple of depots in the cargo hold. I had four NOS ready, in case we needed them and I could refit "on-the-fly".

I moved my ships into the wormhole the night before, turned out to be quite simple as we had an entrance a few jumps from Jita and then I logged off until Sunday morning (AU Time) and battle commenced.

For Bob!


Bex has covered the fight nicely on his blog (have a read of his other articles too, he actually is a good writer (but I never said that)).
 
We were fielding the two remote repair/cap regeneration Archons with a reasonable sized sub-cap force of a Scorpion, two neuting Armageddon's and a good mix of DPS battleships and BC/CL. A nice mobile force that we hoped would be a match for what Maythorn would bring.
 
Unfortunately, through no fault of the Maythorn leadership nor their FC they bought a much smaller force that would not have been able to break the tank of one of the carriers even if we weren't defending it. You can provide content it and tell people where to go and when to participate but alas, you can't make them login.
 
Props to Maythorn regardless, they turned up. Saw they were outnumbered but fought anyway. It wasn't pretty and there were a couple of accidently poddings (we were there for fun, not to execute) due to smart bombs. But on the whole I think it was fun, I had fun and those in Prolapse I spoke to voiced the same thoughts.
 

But the carriers, they live

 
For now they do. But that just gives Bex (and Prolaspe) more reason to do this again in the near future and that is the plan.
 
After all, what better way for a capsuleer to honour Bob but with a sacrifice in pod goo AND ships. I can't think of one.

No comments:

Post a Comment